Search This Blog

Monday 13 August 2012

What to do when College doesn't seem to work


Personal Development

Hello dear friends,

A few years ago, I was seriously considering not going to college. I had the believe that I could still develop myself in the areas on my interest, invest in my mind and still be an expert at what I do whether it is public speaking, business consulting, leadership development, team building, capacity development, branding (the list is endless). I was tired of seeing people go to college because they were not free in their minds and did not have the will power to go against the tide. I wondered what use it was to spend so much time, money and energy pursuing a degree in fields, totally not in sync with where people wanted to be. I was tired of seeing young talented people chase degrees that they may never be able to utilize. (I understand though that no knowledge is a waste but spare me…) As a result of all of these, I really took some time to think and look inward, trying to determine if this whole experience was for me.

I have seen so many people put their lives on hold just because they did not get an admission into a school to study a course, or because they never had the opportunity to gain an experience that they may never use. I believe that this quest is thriving because we live in a society where people have ultimately tied their future, their potentials to some little certificate that will be handed them after four years and have not paid attention to the person they are on the inside. Instead of create a blissful future; they have ended up being confused.

Dear friends may I serve notice on you that your personal development goes beyond the classroom and even if you don't get a degree, you can still go ahead to become who you want to be.

Please note I am not against going to school. I am against the mindset that says a college education is mandatory for success…the same mindset that has almost ruined the hopes and destinies of young people who just can’t seem to connect the dots of their lives after a huge disappointing college outing. Just because you got an F in a class does not mean you are doomed to an F in life. Stop the pity parry and brace yourself for a glorious future. You have been made a success, you are only just finding out.

If you try to get an admission and you don’t get one, use the time to invest in yourself (whatever that means to you). Don’t wait hopelessly for the system to come to your rescue because they may never.

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment