Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 April 2016

THE DEAL

In August 2015 i decided to relocate to Houston. My agent found me a great deal on one of the airlines (Emirate to be precise)which I shared with one of my friends who's widely traveled. But he gave me a surprising advice. He told me not to buy it. He could hear in my voice that I was trying to convince myself that the deal was great. The only problem was I was going to end up flying for about two days for a trip that was supposed to be 12 hours. of course my time was more important than the great discount.
Focusing on the money and ignoring d fact that the deal didn't feel all that comfortable was the source of hesitation my friend picked up on. In d end I opted not 2 buy it cos my feelings were too strong 2 ignore. I would have acted solely on the finances and ignored other, internal factors, such as the unhappiness of staying too long on a flight.
We often make decisions, weather it's taking a job, or entering into a relationship because they look good on paper. We have all dated someone who had all the characteristics we look 4 in a mate. But no matter how great potential partners may look and act, if we don't feel a deep connection to them as people, then no matter how great their characteristics line up on paper, the relationship is doomed.
Our pursuit of success sometimes causes us to lose touch with what's at the core of why we are working so hard in d first place. D singular quest to attain a high level of success is often d reason many people 4get 2 place d same emphasis on whats in their soul and heart.
I'm not suggesting that anything is wrong with pursing goals, financials or otherwise. Take pleasure in the deal. just be careful not to get caught up in the belief that the only measure of success is money. Pursue what nurtures your inner life. Whether you are a small business owner or an employee, make time for the things that bring you joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment