Search This Blog

Saturday 23 April 2016

I AM A WOMAN SO WHAT?




I am a woman
So what?

I get into an argument with a man. He slaps me.
I feel the pain.Yet they tell me I provoked him.

I get into an argument with a man. I slap him.
They tell me I have no respect. Like I don't have
the right to be angry...

So, my level of respect for people is judged by
my degree of silence in the face of brutality,
disrespect and most importantly injustice...

Because I am a woman..

So what?
I am not allowed to show anger.
I must sit with my mouth tied,
my legs stretched out even if it hurts.
I must not talk "anyhow"
I must pick my words carefully like am picking beans.

Because I am a woman

My Husband cheats on me,
I am told to tolerate it... to save my marriage
because "its in their nature to cheat"
I cheat, and I am sent packing
with my belongings in a "Ghana must go bag"
on my head and my little one still suckling my left nipple.
Three years later, my little one is tagged a bastard.

Because I am a woman.

I am judged a good girl if i know how to cook,
clean and do laundry for any man.
And when if i don't know how to, they tag me "useless"

I am judged by people
because I am cheerful, always smiling and happy
Because I wear different colors of lipstick and
take pride in looking good and dressing sexy

Because I am a Woman

My character doesn't count
Because I am a woman I must therefore keep silent

He's 31 and runs a company....
Ahh Wonderful! Successful at a very young age
1 am 31 and I run a company
Hmmm, shes not even married.
"My dear, marry as soon as possible o. You don dey old"
Because my life ends at 40...

Because I am a woman
I am not allowed to be a prodigy

Because I am financially buoyant without a rich dude beside me,
Then, I am a generous leg opener.. Chai

Because I am a woman
If I am rapped, it is my fault because the strap of my bra is Pink.
And if I am way younger, I will be flogged because I allowed
the 25year old man next door touch me.
I am bleeding, sore and in pain.. Yet, they force me to admit I enjoyed it

Because I am a Woman



No comments:

Post a Comment